Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Sitting in Savannah

I left Wilmington yesterday, and traveled to Savannah.

Getting off the plane, even the air felt different, subtly more humid, perhaps more Southern? Not in the airport, of course, since (apart from the changing t-shirt selection), most airports seem pretty much the same. Although I would like someone to write a dissertation about why Southern airports seem to think rocking chairs are the universal signifier of "southerness." But that's an aside.

Anyway, as I looked out the window of the cab, the sky, the trees, the water out the window, the buildings, the squares, told me that I wasn't in Wilmington any more.

The night before I left home to come here, my husband and I were drinking wine, talking about the next month, and what I'd be doing. I'm a little nervous about how it is all going to pan out...how the days will go, and what is expected of us as seminar participants. I know I have to read at least one book and a bunch of articles each week for the next four weeks. And I can see how the seminar was constructed, since they weeks are divided into "The Cause", "Choosing Sides" "Emancipation, Reconstruction, and Reconciliation," and "The Civil War in History and Memory." Still, until we get into it, I know I don't really know how its going to unfold.

I do know now, however, what my "office" for the next month looks like:


∞∞∞∞∞

No comments:

Post a Comment